Plugin is constantly under development, which means with every update comes with new feature and fixes. One more important thing, that new update also can come with the plugin API refactor. Plugin structure, method and classes names can change. It will be of course described in the Version Notes.
It is important to stay up to date, since with the update you getting not only new features, but also important fixes and updates to support new OS / Unity versions. However constant plugin update is not requirements. If you satisfied with the current version and do not want to spend some time on updating procedure, you can stay with this version as long as you want.
Note: If you found bug, or something is not working as described in documentation, please update to the latest plugin version, before contacting support, since this is first suggestion which you will get from the support team, and most likely update will fix your issue impliedly.
Upgrades Best Practices
IMPORTANT! If you not using Version Control System, make sure you did a backup before updating the plugin.
1) Completely remove old plugin version from your project. You can do this automatically as shown on the screenshot bellow.
2) Import and install new plugin version.
1. When you removing the plugin, your project files, and plugin settings will stay unharmed. which means you do not need to fill up plugin editor settings again after update.
2. If you have more that one Stan's Assets products in your project, it will be removed as well. Such behaviour was designed in purpose. Stan's Assets products are fully compatible with each other, but to achieve this compatibility you should use plugins version released in the same time.
For example, you have following plugins in your project
- Android Native v6.7(released 05 Jul 2015 )
- IOS Native v7.2 (released 05 Jul 2015 )
- Mobile Social Plugins v6.7 (released 05 Jul 2015 )
You can't just update Android Native to v6.8(released 10 Aug 2015 ), you need to update other plugins as well, so after updating you should have following plugin versions:
- Android Native v6.8(released 10 Aug 2015 )
- IOS Native v7.2 (released 10 Aug 2015 )
- Mobile Social Plugins v6.8 (released 10 Aug 2015 )
Settings File Location
Plugins Settings file is located at:
This folder remain unharmed by the plugin removal tool. In case you want to transfer setting to the another project, you can just copy / paste files from this folder from one project to another.
I case you want manually remove and reinstall this plugin, or even of you also have another Stan's Assets plugins inside your project. You can just remove and following folders:
- All folders under:
Assets/Plugins/StansAssets/ except Assets/Plugins/StansAssets/Support/Settings/Resources
- Assets/Plugins/Android/AN_Res and Assets/Plugins/Android/libs
- Assets/Plugins/ - You can remove whole folder, in case you do not have any other plugins inside your project, or your own files inside Plugins folder. And if you do, remove only files that are related to plugin you want to remove. This step can be unclear, we are defiantly trying to use understandable naming convention for our files, so it should be easy to determine what files / folder are related to plugin you trying to remove. But that's why we strongly recommend plugin removal tool usage, since it will be definitely safe for other product you have inside your project.