Plugin is constantly under the development. It means that in every update the plugin comes with new feature and fixes. One more important thing is that the new update can also come with the plugin API refactor. Plugin structure, method and classes names can change. Of course, it will be described in the Version Notes.
It is important to stay up to date, since in the update you are getting not only new features, but also important fixes and updates to support new OS / Unity versions. However, the constant plugin update is not required. If you are satisfied with the current version and do not want to spend some time on updating procedure, you can stay with this version as long as you want.
Note: If you found bug, or something is not working as described in documentation, please update to the latest plugin version, before contacting support, since this is first suggestion which you will get from the support team, and most likely update will fix your issue impliedly.
Upgrades Best Practices
IMPORTANT! If you not using Version Control System, make sure you did a backup before updating the plugin.
1) Completely remove the old plugin version from your project. You can do this automatically as shown on the screenshot bellow.
2) Import and install the new plugin version.
1. When you are removing the plugin, your project files, and plugin settings will stay unharmed, which means that you do not need to fill up the plugin editor settings again after an update.
2. If you have more than one Stan's Assets product in your project, it will be removed as well. Such behaviour was designed in purpose. Stan's Assets products are fully compatible with each other, but to achieve this compatibility you should use a version of the plugins which are released at the same time.
For example, you have the following plugins in your project
- Android Native v6.7(released 05 Jul 2015 )
- IOS Native v7.2 (released 05 Jul 2015 )
- Mobile Social Plugins v6.7 (released 05 Jul 2015 )
You can't just update Android Native to v6.8(released 10 Aug 2015 ), you need to update other plugins as well, so after updating you should have the following plugin versions:
- Android Native v6.8(released 10 Aug 2015 )
- IOS Native v7.2 (released 10 Aug 2015 )
- Mobile Social Plugins v6.8 (released 10 Aug 2015 )
Settings File Location
Plugins Settings file is located at:
This folder remains unharmed by the plugin removal tool. If you want to transfer setting to the another project, you can just copy / paste files from this folder from one project to another.
If you want manually to remove and reinstall this plugin, or even if you also have nother Stan's Assets plugins inside your project, you can just remove the following folders:
- All folders under:
Assets/Plugins/StansAssets/ except Assets/Plugins/StansAssets/Support/Settings/Resources
- Assets/Plugins/Android/AN_Res and Assets/Plugins/Android/libs
- Assets/Plugins/ - You can remove the whole folder, in case you do not have any other plugins inside your project or your own files inside Plugins folder. And if you do, remove only files that are related to the plugin that you want to remove. This step can be unclear, we are defiantly trying to use understandable naming convention for our files, so it should be easy to determine what files / folder are related to the plugin you are trying to remove. But that's why we strongly recommend the plugin removal tool usage, since it will be definitely safely for other products you have inside your project.