Plugin is constantly under development, which means that with every update it comes with new features and fixes. One more important thing is that new update can also come with the plugin API refactor. Plugin structure, method and classes names can change. Of course, it will be described in the Version Notes.
It is important to stay up to date, since with an update you are getting not only new features but also important fixes and updates to support new OS / Unity versions. However, constant plugin update is not required. If you are satisfied with the current version and do not want to spend some time on updating procedure, you can stay with this version as long as you want.
If you have found a bug or something is not working as described in the documentation, please, update to the latest plugin version before contacting support, since this is the first suggestion which you will get from the support team, and the most likely is that an update will fix your issue impliedly.
Upgrades Best Practices
1) If you are not using Version Control System, make sure you have done a backup before updating the plugin.
2) Completely remove old plugin version from your project. You can do this automatically as shown on the screenshot bellow.
3) Import and Instal new plugin version.
1. if this is a minor version update. For example, if you are updating from 7.1.2 to 7.1.3, in this case removal and reinstallation aren't required, you will see the setting message which is similar to the one bellow:
You can just press the Upgrade Resources button, and plugin will automatically update native resources.
2. When you are removing the plugin, your project files and plugin settings will stay unharmed, which means you do not need to fill up plugin editor setting again after an update.
3. If you have more that one Stan's Assets products in your project, they will be removed as well. Such behavior was designed in purpose. Stan's Assets products are fully compatible with each other, but to achieve this compatibility, you should use plugins version released in the same time.
For example, you have the following plugins in your project
- Android Native v6.7(released 05 Jul 2015 )
- IOS Native v7.2 (released 05 Jul 2015 )
- Mobile Social Plugins v6.7 (released 05 Jul 2015 )
You can't just update Android Native to v6.8(released 10 Aug 2015 ), you need to update other plugins as well, so after updating you should have the following plugin versions:
- Android Native v6.8(released 10 Aug 2015 )
- IOS Native v7.2 (released 10 Aug 2015 )
- Mobile Social Plugins v6.8 (released 10 Aug 2015 )
Settings File Location
Plugins Settings file is located at:
This folder remains unharmed by the plugin removal tool. In case you want to transfer setting to another project, you can just copy / paste files from this folder from one project to another.
In case you want manually remove and reinstall this plugin, or even if you also have other Stan's Assets plugins inside your project, you can just remove and the following folders:
- All folders under: Assets/Extensions/ except Assets/Extensions/StansAssetsConfig
- Assets/Plugins/ - You can remove a whole folder in case you do not have any other plugins inside your project or your own files inside Plugins folder. And if you do, remove only files that are related to plugin you want to remove. This step can be unclear, we are defiantly trying to use understandable naming convention for our files, so it should be easily to determine what files / folder are related to plugin you are trying to remove. But that's why we strongly recommend plugin removal tool usage, since it will be definitely safely for another product you have inside your project.