Plugin is constantly under the development, which means that it comes with new features and fixes in every update. One more important thing, that the new update can also come with the plugin API refactor. The plugin structure, method and names of classes can change. Of course, it will be described in the Version Notes.
It is important to stay up to date, as in the update you don't get only new features, but also important fixes and updates to support new OS / Unity versions. However, the constant plugin update is not a requirement. If you are satisfied with the current version and do not want to spend some time on updating procedure, you can stay with this version as long as you want.
If you have found a bug, or something is not working as described in documentation, please update to the latest plugin version, before contacting the support as this is the first suggestion which you will get from the support team, and it is the most likely that the update will fix your issue.
Upgrades Best Practices
1) If you are not using Version Control System, make sure you did a backup before an updating the plugin.
2) Completely remove old plugin version from your project. You can do this automatically as shown on the screenshot below.
3) Import and Instal new plugin version.
1. When you are removing the plugin, your project files, and plugin settings will stay unharmed, which means you do not need to fill up the plugin editor setting again after an update.
2. If you have more that one Stan's Assets products in your project, it will be removed as well. Such behaviour was designed in purpose. Stan's Assets products are fully compatible with each other, but to achieve this compatibility you should use the plugins version released in the same time.
For example, you have the following plugins in your project
- Android Native v6.7(released 05 Jul 2015 )
- IOS Native v7.2 (released 05 Jul 2015 )
- Mobile Social Plugins v6.7 (released 05 Jul 2015 )
You can't just update Android Native to v6.8(released 10 Aug 2015 ), you need to update other plugins as well, so after updating you should have the following plugin versions:
- Android Native v6.8(released 10 Aug 2015 )
- IOS Native v7.2 (released 10 Aug 2015 )
- Mobile Social Plugins v6.8 (released 10 Aug 2015 )
If you are updating the minor version, for example, you are updating IOS Native from 7.2 to 7.2.1, the removing of plugin is not required. You can just import the new version and follow the instructions in the editor UI if any appear.
Settings File Location
Plugins Settings file is located at:
This folder remain unharmed by the plugin removal tool. In case you want to transfer a setting to another project, you can just copy / paste files from this folder from one project to another.
In case you want manually remove and reinstall this plugin, or even if you also have other Stan's Assets plugins inside your project, you can just remove the following folders:
- All folders under: Assets/Extensions/ except Assets/Extensions/StansAssetsConfig
- Assets/Plugins/ - You can remove the whole folder, in case you do not have any other plugins inside your project, or your own files inside Plugins folder. And if you do, remove only files that are related to the plugin you want to remove. This step can be unclear, we are defiantly trying to use understandable naming convention for our files, so it should be easy to determine what files / folders are related to plugin you are trying to remove. But that's why we strongly recommend the plugin removal tool usage as it will be definitely safely for other products you have inside your project.